Have you ever sat down and actually thought recently about what makes you happy? Like actually happy. I’ve been thinking about this during my cycle into work the past few days. As I’m currently in between places I’m basically living out of a suitcase. Which for those of you who know me, will find hilarious. I’m the type of person who has everything and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. Long skateboard – check. Hot glue gun – check. An ever-growing library of books – check. And the list goes on and on. Basically to cut the story short moving out of my last flat was embarrassing I had somehow managed to fit an entire van load of stuff in my room. What I’m trying to get at is in the past month living out of a suitcase I haven’t missed all that much of it. In fact, somehow I’ve still even managed to over pack! So what have my cycle rides told me about what makes me happy?
- The obvious one has to be Misty. Any day I don’t get out on my bike is a day wasted, even if it’s just a quick ride to the shop. There’s something exhilarating and freeing about getting out on a bike. Your mind clears of everything and you can just be in the moment. That’s something that I feel I can be guilty of not doing and so in a sense, my bike brings me back down to earth.
- Clothes. Now I’m not talking about the quantity of clothes here (even though I am extremely guilty of having an entire wardrobe I don’t even wear…. I really need to sort that out and give them a new home) I’m talking about the quality. The pieces that bring a smile to your face when you wear them. Those are the ones I enjoy. This umbrella term also includes my cycle wear which isn’t that special its just my everyday clothes. Except for things like my linus bag which is just beautiful!
- This is going to sound stuck up or cheesy but I love my brain. It’s what allows me to do what I like to do. And because of this and because I cycle in the UK (a place notorious for not being the safest for cycling) my helmet makes me happy. Believe me it took me an age to find something I actually liked but this one mostly fits the bill!
- Friends. This one’s pretty obvious but I enjoy being around people who challenge and test me. The chance to explore and go on an adventure with friends is the perfect day out to me.
- Finally one that might not be so obvious is the sea. Having grown up next to the sea I got used to seeing it every day and breathing in its fresh air. Believe me, the sea air can cure anything. There are few places I’m happier than when I’m out on the water or at least beside it.
I wanted to write this post because I think it’s important to remember what makes you happy. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the rat race but over the past few weeks I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to new people. From meeting people at yoga class to speaking to strangers on the train it’s been interesting to find out what others enjoy doing to get away from it all.
What makes you happy?
Oh and books, books make me happy, I guess that ever growing library will always be with me.